Arrest Linked to Time as Trade Envoy
Prince Andrew, Duke of York was taken into custody Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office, according to a police statement. Officers also carried out searches at properties in Berkshire and Norfolk.
Authorities did not initially name him in their statement but confirmed that a man in his sixties remained in custody while inquiries continue. Andrew, who turned 66 on Thursday, is being questioned over actions connected to his former role as the United Kingdom’s trade envoy.
Investigators emphasized the need to protect the integrity of the case. They acknowledged the intense public attention surrounding the matter and said updates would be provided when appropriate.
Unmarked police vehicles were seen earlier in the day near Sandringham in Norfolk, where Andrew has been living since leaving his residence in Windsor.
Questions Over Dealings With Jeffrey Epstein
The latest development follows fresh reports suggesting Andrew may have shared sensitive documents with Jeffrey Epstein during his tenure as trade envoy. Emails cited by the Financial Times indicated that Andrew discussed helping to facilitate an $8 billion oil-related financial arrangement involving foreign entities.
The correspondence reportedly began while Epstein was under house arrest following his 2008 conviction for soliciting sex from a minor. Andrew has consistently denied any wrongdoing related to his association with Epstein and has not been charged with crimes connected to him.
Royal commentator Craig Prescott of Royal Holloway, University of London described the situation as one of the most dramatic reputational collapses for a modern royal. Policing analyst Danny Shaw told the BBC that suspects are typically held between 12 and 24 hours before being charged or released, though detention can legally extend to 96 hours with proper authorization.
Andrew is being held in a standard custody suite while awaiting questioning, with no special treatment expected.
Palace Responds as Scrutiny Deepens
Earlier this month, Thames Valley Police confirmed it was assessing allegations of misconduct in public office. In response, King Charles III expressed concern and stated that Buckingham Palace would cooperate fully with authorities.
The arrest adds to years of controversy surrounding Andrew’s links to Epstein. In 2019, he stepped back from public duties after a widely criticized interview with the BBC about their relationship. In 2022, he reached a financial settlement with Virginia Giuffre, who had accused him of sexual abuse when she was 17. Andrew denied the allegations and did not admit liability as part of the agreement.
In October, Charles stripped his brother of royal titles and required him to vacate Royal Lodge on the Windsor estate.
As the investigation unfolds, the case continues to draw intense scrutiny both in Britain and abroad, marking another chapter in a saga that has cast a long shadow over the royal family.

